Pacific Whale Foundation has been offering quality ocean eco-adventures to Molokini for more than 30 years. We are pleased to offer a new small group Molokini eco-adventure that travels off the beaten path. It includes an opportunity to visit one or more reefs where sea turtles are plentiful and learn about these fascinating marine reptiles. There's no trip like it on Maui.
As with all of our Pacific Whale Foundation Eco-Adventures, this new trip is led by our team of knowledgeable Certified Marine Naturalists and a professional U.S. Coast Guard certified captain. It's based on our decades of marine research, including an extensive study of Molokini's fish, corals, and wildlife.
We depart in the morning from Ma'alaea Harbor and head for Molokini. After snorkeling this remarkable mid-ocean reef, we'll cruise around Molokini's rugged red rock back wall. Birdwatchers, be ready. We often sight seabirds such as Wedge-tailed shearwaters and Great frigate birds that roost here!
And then we'll set off to explore, stopping to view wildlife at sea turtle and dolphin habitats. We'll also choose a reef that offers the clearest and calmest conditions for our second snorkel site. Explore on your own or take part in a guided reef tour led by our knowledgeable naturalist.
Our Molokini Wild Side Eco-Adventure is offered on our 54-foot single deck catamaran, Ocean Explorer. With comfortable armchair seats arranged grandstand style on the bow, plus a shaded back deck, shower, and onboard bathrooms, Ocean Explorer combines comfort with the thrill of being closer to the water and ocean wildlife. It's U.S. Coast Guard certified for just 49 passengers, but we'll carry just 38 people, so there's plenty of room for everyone.
- Expert narration by our Certified Marine Naturalists
- Opportunity to learn about sea turtle research
- Snorkeling at Molokini and a second site
- Professionally fitted, premium snorkel gear (including optical masks for eyeglass wearers)
- Flotation devices
- Wetsuit tops available for rental
- Free learn-to-snorkel class
- Free fish ID class
- Free guided reef tour
- Free Jr. Naturalist program
- Continental breakfast: Maui Vegetable Fritatta (eggs, potato,bell pepper, onion, spinach, mushroom, cheddar, parmesan), assorted pastries,
- Lunch: Grilled Chicken Wrap with spinach, tomato, carrots and cucumber (with condiments), Potato Mac Salad, Corn and Bean Salad and chocolate chip cookies
- Refreshments: Unlimited sodas, tropical juices and filtered water. (After snorkeling, adults age 21 and over with valid ID may enjoy 1 complimentary alcoholic beverage, including local micro-brew beer or wine or Mai Tai. Refills available for sale at a reasonable price.)
- Free marine wildlife poster
- Free downloadable Hawaii Wildlife Guides:
- Hawaii's Coral Reefs
- Hawaiian Monk Seals
- Hawaii's Sea Turtles
- Hawaii's Humpback Whales
- Hawaii's Wild Dolphins
- Affordable rentals of underwater cameras and binoculars
- Rental of wetsuit tops
- Love the snorkel gear? You can arrange to rent it for the week for a small additional fee.
: Daily at 7:30 am (except Wednesdays)Duration
: Approximately 6 hoursCheck-in
: 6:30 am (1 hour prior to departure) Breakfast is served in their Discovery classroom prior to departure.Check-in Location
: Pacific Whale Foundation's Ocean Store at Ma'alaea Harbor Shops (next to Maui Ocean Center)
For ages 8 and over only. This eco-adventure is not recommended for pregnant women or individuals with back problems.
Destinations subject to change due to sea or weather conditions.NOTE
: Guests will be required to sign a liability waiver upon check-in prior to your tour.