from Kilauea Hike & Glow (Kona)
Get your hike on with one of our certified park service guides on our Kilauea Hike ‘n Glow tour. This is a specialized tour designed for adventurous guests looking to get off the beaten path and head off to unique areas of the Park not normally visited on organized tours. Starting at your resort in Kona, your guide will pick you up and drive you through the “saddle” between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea volcanoes.
Make a quick stop at our store in Hilo for provisions before heading off to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Here you will discover what makes this unique place a UNESCO World Heritage Site and International Biosphere Preserve. Start with a visit to the Kilauea Visitor’s Center and a picnic-style lunch. Visit the Jaggar Museum, and then on to the Thurston Lava Tube. Hike down into the Kilauea Iki crater through the rainforest and across the still-steaming crater floor. This 4-mile hike culminates in a walk through the Thurston Lava Tube. Enjoy dinner at Volcano Winery. Guests can expect a private vineyard and tea orchard tour, plus a wine tasting or glass of wine included with dinner at the Winery. Return to the Park and watch for current volcanic activity as the sun sets before returning to Kona.
Red molten lava may not be seen and cannot be guaranteed as volcanic activity changes constantly. Durable hiking shoes required. We’re happy to accommodate special dietary needs and restrictions, including children’s meals, with advance notice. Order of itinerary may change. Tour runs rain or shine. Activity level: strenuous.
What to Bring:
Video and/or still cameras, government issued ID, and tour vouchers or method of payment
What to Expect:
Moderate air temperatures at sea level with cooler temperatures at higher elevations on the drive from Kona; occasional rain showers; strenuous hike across uneven and steep, rocky terrain including black lava rock.
What to Wear:
Comfortable hiking clothes (shorts are ok)
Light jacket or sweater
Sunglasses and hat
Sturdy closed-toe hiking shoes are required (sandals and flip-flops or “slippahs” will not be accepted)
Military-grade LED flashlights, umbrellas, walking sticks, camera tripod to share, mosquito repellant, sunblock, snacks and beverages (water, juice, soda) all day, picnic lunch and dinner at the Volcano Winery (dietary requirements and restrictions accommodated on request with advance notice), all entrance fees and access to private locations
Approximately 12 hours depending on pick up and drop off locations
• All guests (including children) should be able to negotiate a strenuous 4-mile hike, unassisted, which includes a high number of steep uphill and downhill sections. Guests with small children are responsible for providing their own child carriers to safely navigate the entire hike.
• State law requires child safety seats for all guests under 4 years of age (we’re happy to supply seats at no charge with advance notice)
• Booster seats required for all guests between ages 4 and 7 and under 4 feet 9 inches tall and 80 pounds weight (we’re happy to supply seats at no charge with advance notice)
• Volcanic emissions, including sulfur gas, may affect those with respiratory concerns
• Participants should be prepared for immediate evacuation in accordance with directions given by County, State and/or Federal officials
• Guests under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by an adult